Wednesday, February 27, 2008

The show goes on!

G'day people!

Alot has happened since my last post in Adelaide. We didnt end up leaving adelaide until really late that day because we had to get some new things for the bikes, and some other bits and pieces. So we only made it to Port Wakefield, and plus in the arvo we found a ripped little pub in a town called Lower Light. So we only had a shortish day before wanting to head to bed.
The next day we made up for it with a massive 210 km ride to Port Augusta. we survived the ride ok that night, but unfortunately the next day my right knee wasnt too happy.

About 60kms into the trip my leg was really hurting. IT was time to make some sort of change to the schedule because I just couldnt keep pushing it the way I was. So we pulled up in a town called Iron Knob, about 75kms from Pt Augusta. The place is a bit of a Ghost town and being a sunday night not much was going on.

One of the locals told us to go knock on the pub door because the owners live there and they could sort us out with some where to stay, and some drinks etc.

So we went onto the property and walked around for a while till we eventually found a back door to the pub. A lady answered the door and we told her what the local bloke. They ended up letting us stay on the property, and opened up a room with a shower, toilet, kitchen, power etc so that we had everything we needed. Absolute legends! I even got some ice and iced up my knee while some Rice was cookin for dinner

We got a good sleep that night and decided that we should have a rest day, and another good sleep that night. Around lunch time we went and had a look inside the pub. Its a massive place that was an old school converted into a pub. The people who run the place Brian and Michelle were keen as for a chat, and eventually with a few drinks in us all we had a bit of a party going. Not many people came to the pub for the night apart from an old couple, Bill who was good at darts, and I forget his wife's name, but she gave me some sort of cream for my leg, that is actually a cream that gets rubbed into Horse's muscles. But it seemed to work. There was also another character there called Gaz who played guitar, and all he wanted to do was play House of the rising sun. And then there was another bloke called "Caveman." He was an interesting fellow who had lost use of one side of his body. We had a ripped of a night. Harv and I hopped into a couple of big steaks, and an extra two plates of chips, which we know is too much, but at the time seemed like a good idea.

The next day we head off to Kimba. Leaving Iron knob we tried to find something to eat for breakfast, only to find out that it was really a ghost town. Nothing was open, and there was nowhere to get food. So we dropped in at the bowls club that just happened to be open. A bloke there called Graham hooked us up with a tin of spaghetti for the trip, and also gave us an IRon knob bowls club baadge for the memories. Thanks mate!

Off to Kimba. There are more hills around these parts than you would think. It wasnt that long a day but it seemed it because we could only average a speed of around 15kms an hour. When we got to Kimba we headed to a little rest stop called Apex park and spent the night. An awesome rest stop that I highly recomend. An old bloke called Rob looks after the bpark and I reckon he'd be keen for a good yarn if you hed there. As is everyone else in town, we found it hard to finally eat breakfast the next morning beacuse everyone just wants to have a chat.
After an egg and bacon fest we hit the road.

More undulating hills to Wudinna. On the road Brian from Iron Knob past us in his ute. HE was heading to Wudinna but said he wouldnt be there long cause he had to get back home, or hed be in trouble. Through out the day I got my first slow leaking tire so had to change it over, and I also discovered that I now had a broken spoke also. So we sorted out a few things, and got to Wudinna around 7pm. Pulled into the pub, and there was Brian. We were joking all day about how we knew he would be there for ages drinking, and how much trouble hed be in when he got home.

At the Wudinna pub it was $10 roast night, but the girl at the counter offered us a roast for $7 because they were packing up. and let me tell you, it was the most massive roast I have ever seen. I dont think I will ever get better value than that. We slept in the tents again last night, and now we're off for some breaky. We've decided to start riding in the day early so that we dont get the afternoon sun, and then we can do a bit more when we turn up in town.

I'm still feeling the inflamation in my knee but I guess all I can do is ice it, use gels etc, and just not push it to hard.

The show goes on!

1 comment:

heatherlyone said...

rob! i'm LOVING your blog. love all the characters you're meeting on the way...keep em coming. big love from Canada. xo